Nordpark
Hilfsnavigation

Nordpark

Nordpark

Nordpark (Northern park)

Every spring Magdeburg's Nordpark transforms into a wide blue sea of flowers when the enchanting innumerable scilla flowers blossom.
Nordpark
Hauptallee des Nordparks © MMKT
Nordpark © MMKT
August Wilhelm Francke Denkmal im Nordpark © MMKT
Sowjetischer Ehrenfriedhof © MMKT
Liegende Grabplatten © MMKT
Denkmal Lazare Carnot © MMKT

This park can be found in the Alte Neustadt district north of the city centre and near the Otto.von-Guericke-University.

It was created as a municipal cemetery as the city grounds no longer bore enough space to bury the city's dead. In 1827 the new north cemetery, planed by the famous garden architect Peter Joseph Lenné, was inaugurated. However, it's time as burial place ended already in 1898 when two more cemeteries were created in the south and west of the city. In the following years, the former north cemetery was transformed into a public garden.

After the Second World War, the north-eastern part was used to bury the fallen Soviet soldiers. Some of the original gravestones can still be found which mark the last stead of historical figures from Magdeburg's past. Of which the monument dedicated to Magdeburg's Lord Mayor August Wilhelm Francke deserves a special mention. He was responsible for the construction of the northern cemetery. Another monument commemorates Lazare Carnot, one of the main characters of the French Revolution, who was forced to leave France and spend his last years in exile in Magdeburg.

x