Diese Webseite verwendet Cookies für persönliche Einstellungen und spezielle Funktionen.
Zudem möchten wir Cookies auch verwenden, um statistische Daten zur Nutzung unseres Angebots zu sammeln (Tracking). Dafür bitten wir um Ihre Zustimmung.
The Early Days: The favourite palatinate of the first German emperor (Years 805 to 965 )
- 805 Magdeburg is first mentioned in the so-called Diedenhofer Kapitular by Charlemagne. Its location next to the river Elbe is well-connected to important traffic arteries and waterways encouraging people to settle here. The first settlements are well-protected by a fortress.
- 929 Otto, the son of King Henry I, was wed to the English princess Editha. Magdeburg is given to her as a morning gift at her wedding.
- 936 Otto I is crowned King in Aachen. During his reign he frequently visits Magdeburg.
- 937 Otto I founds the Benedictine Monastery St. Maurice which becomes a family monastery. It is given much property and enjoys many privileges. The importance of its college exceeds far beyond the confines of the Magdeburg region. With the monastery’s foundation Magdeburg becomes the new metropolis of the German empire. In fact, the city has become the starting point of many missions such as to the Slavic neighbour regions.
- 955 One of Otto’s major objectives is to elevate Magdeburg into an Archbishopric, therefore he arranges for the extension of the church of the Monastery of St. Maurice in order to erect an awe-inspiring cathedral. Thus the Ottonian cathedral is built.
- 962 Otto is crowned the first German emperor in Rome
- 965 Otto I gives important rights to the Monastery of St. Maurice.
It is now entitled to rule the castle and its surroundings which until then had remained the personal possession of the emperor. The rights to hold markets, to mint and issue coins as well as impose duties are also granted.